PEPPERMINT IGUANA

BACK STAGE AT PEPPERMINT IGUANA HQ: Gigs, Festivals, Parties, CDs, Books, Protests, travels, photography and Cardiff City FC

Sunday, March 12, 2006

REVOLVER: Guy Ritchie loses the plot

I have just watched guy Ritchie’s latest movie, ‘Revolver’. All I can say is “What the f@ck was that about?"

Guy’s two previous films, ‘Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels’ and ‘Snatch’ have to be two of my all time favourite films. I love the way the plots jump about all over the place but at the end everything suddenly falls into place and it all makes sense… similar to Quentin Tarantino’s work.

So I forced myself to watch, waiting for the pieces of the jigsaw to all fall into place, but they never did. At the end of the film I just sat there thinking… have I missed something? Unlike his previous films, it did not even contain any humour.

I looked it up on the net to see if I could find out what other people have said about it. It seems like I am not the only one that was confused. There is an interesting article on The Guardian website analysing how the Sun quote "Brilliant ... Guy Ritchie back to his best!" came about, which is quite a bizarre story. I love the quote “The critical reaction to Guy Ritchie's Kabbalah-infused gangster flick Revolver has been rather like watching a car crash in slo-mo. The film is, by common consent, not merely a turkey, but a squawking, gobbling prize Christmas clunker of a bird. For the Daily Mail's Christopher Tookey, "Ritchie tells his story so incoherently and indolently - and with such an alienating air of self-congratulation - that Revolver becomes first annoying, then exasperating, and eventually unbearable." In the Daily Mirror, David Edwards dismissed the picture as "so incredibly, absurdly, breathtakingly awful, I wanted to buy a revolver so I could shoot the projectionist before turning the gun on myself."

I have to say, it is quite an interesting film, the acting is good, the camera work is eye catching and it is very stylish and cool…. But what is it about? I would recommend it, it is definitely worth seeing, but don’t expect to be able to follow it, it makes Kill Bill look like Coronation Street. You will feel the need to watch it intently and work out what is happening, and you may even work it out, but if you do you are better than me! Post a comment if you can explain it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home